The National Weather is surveying storm damage at The Little Mountain Marina Camping Resort in Marshall County.
Sections of tin peeled off the roof of the clubhouse Saturday afternoon. People who live out here say the bad weather came out of nowhere.
"We were all hanging outside and all of a sudden the wind picked up, and it picked up fast. Maybe 60-70 miles per second," said Jared Force.
Jared Force told WAAY 31 the thunderstorm lasted for about two minutes.
He said once the security guard saw the sky beginning to change, he came to the clubhouse to warn the campers and maintenance crews who were outside.
"He kind of kept everybody cluttered up and out of harm's way," Force said.
The powerful winds forced the clubhouse doors open, sending in lots of debris.
"Where we're standing was full of leaves. It's been cleaned up. There had to be some type of rotation in the winds that pushed the leaves to this part of the building," Force said.
Other people who were near the lake say when the wind picked up, the clouds started to rotate.
"They say it come across the lake and coming out of the north and it was just a water spout coming across the water," Force said.
Now, parts of the clubhouse roof is damaged and the flag pole is down. But Jared Force is glad the folks who were outside are okay.
"It was pretty bad. We haven't had any damage in a while so everyone was freaked out, especially with the storm not even being here yet," Force said.
The National Weather Service officials said there have been a few small tornadoes that hit this area in the past. They'll confirm whether this was a tornado by Monday.
- Storms in Marshall Co. cause damage at Little Mountain Marina
- Little Mountain Marina Damaged by Storms
- Marshall County marina damage was caused by high winds
- Strong winds damaged 15 boats at Riverwalk Marina in Decatur
- Hurricane force wind mangles marina and damages boats in Decatur
- A year later, weather still impacting Decatur marina damaged by storm
- Brindlee Mountain Primary School severely damaged after storm
- Forklift falls into Killen marina
- Aerial footage shows tornado damage to Brindlee Mountain Primary School in Marshall County
- Marshall County recovering from tornado damage