Decatur city officials said dozens of homes were damaged by high winds and falling trees as severe storms swept through north Alabama Tuesday night.
Approximately 70 to 80 homes were damaged by straight-line winds, officials said Wednesday afternoon.
Most major roads were back open and running as normal, after crews worked through the night clearing trees and power lines that were damaged by winds that reached up to 70 miles per hour.
Red Cross workers were going through some of the more hard-hit neighborhoods to help with cleaning up, officials said.
Northwest Decatur received the worst damage, in the Moulton Street area, officials said. Also, the Gridiron Grill lost a portion of its roof, Saputo Dairy Foods on 6th Avenue lost part of its roof and about 15 boats were damaged at the marina on the Tennessee River.
Decatur Utilities crews were working to get power restored to all areas, but a spokesman said they spent a lot of time cutting and clearing trees before new poles could be moved into areas.
Madison County damage
The most significant damage in Huntsville came from downed trees. A large tree fell on a building at Hunters Ridge Apartments in south Huntsville, forcing residents out after the city declared the building was unsafe.
Huntsville Utilities was busy repairing power outages all over the area. Huntsville High School students were out of school because power and Internet weren't fully restored until after noon, according to a school district spokesman.
In the Harvest area, people reported several downed trees on Sam Thomas Road.
- STORM UPDATE: Decatur says 70-80 homes damaged by winds
- Straight line winds damage about 100 homes in Decatur
- Decatur home on Somerville Road experiences severe storm damage
- Storms to bring damaging winds Thursday morning
- Damaging wind threat with severe storms Thursday
- Strong winds left damage after Thursday's storms
- Strong winds damaged 15 boats at Riverwalk Marina in Decatur
- Hurricane force wind mangles marina and damages boats in Decatur
- Damaging wind possible with severe storms Thursday evening
- Dangerous severe storms bring risk for tornadoes & damaging wind tonight