A storm safe room could soon be coming to Owens Cross Roads. It would be located at the town hall there that's right off US Highway 431. Currently, there are seven FEMA compliant storm shelters in Madison County. The closest one to Owens Cross Roads is more than 5 miles away.
WAAY 31 learned the Madison County Commission and the Alabama Emergency Management Agency are working to change that. They've applied for a federal grant to allow for a safe room to be built at Owens Cross Roads Town Hall.
One woman told us being able to take shelter out of her home during a dangerous storm could save lives.
The Madison County commissioner for the area and the town's mayor are both staying tight-lipped on the project until federal funding is approved.
WAAY 31 is still waiting to learn how big this safe room would be and where exactly it would be located at the town hall.
- Storm safe room could be installed in Owens Cross Roads
- Construction set to begin on severe weather safe room in Owens Cross Roads
- Owens Cross Roads siren not working
- Body found in Owens Cross Roads was 13-year-old girl
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Owens Cross Roads wreck
- Bicyclist hit by vehicle in Owens Cross Roads
- Huntsville police: Owens Cross Roads man killed in Monday wreck
- Remains found at Owens Cross Roads cemetery believed to be missing grandmother
- Owens Cross Roads police searching for suspect who fought them, then got away
- Two arrested after motorcycles spotted going 101 mph in Owens Cross Roads