UPDATE: The Madison County Sheriff's Office says it received a call around 8:20 p.m. on July 23rd from a citizen about a vehicle that had been on his property on Winchester Road.
The caller told the sheriff's office he believed the driver was about to commit a crime. Deputies found the vehicle on Moores Mill Road and the sheriff's office says when they attempted to stop it, the driver refused.
The sheriff's office says after a brief chase, the driver stopped and ran on Cavalier Drive. The driver was found and arrested for attempting to elude with additional charges for two counts of endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangerment. The department says this is because his two children and their mother were in the vehicle when he eluded law enforcement and drove recklessly.
According to the department, the driver received an additional charge of criminal mischief because of damage to the caller's home. The vehicle and trailer were impounded and it was determined they were similar to the vehicle and trailer in the Mt. Carmel theft investigation. This led to the recovery of the school's stolen property.
The sheriff's office says the driver's identification has not been released due to the ongoing investigation, pending warrants on him and several other suspects believed to be involved in the thefts.
Some of the lawn equipment stolen from Mt. Carmel Elementary School was recovered this week.
According to a social media post, the Madison County Sheriff's Office recovered the lawn equipment from one of the break-ins at the school off Homer Nance Road. The post states the sheriff's office is still looking for the suspects from the first burglary.
Deputies say the thieves stole more than $10,000 worth of lawn equipment after breaking into a storage shed twice in the past month.
Surveillance images captured a white truck entering the school's property at the end of June. The second time, the thieves didn't drive onto school property. Instead, they parked in the Mt. Carmel subdivision and walked down to the school.
The school said it's upgrading the security for the shed to prevent this from happening again.
- Stolen lawn equipment returned to Madison County school
- Woman's lawn equipment stolen, uses Facebook to tackle the problem
- Madison Co. Sheriff's Office recovers some of Mt. Carmel Elementary’s stolen lawn equipment
- Thieves steal more than $10,000 worth of lawn equipment from Mt. Carmel Elementary School
- East Limestone band trailer with equipment stolen in Birmingham
- Madison County lawn services see business heat up during hot weather
- School improvements coming to Madison County Schools
- Lincoln County High School receives $80,000 worth of equipment
- Madison County Schools searched by drug dogs
- New traffic pattern for Madison County School