As of late Thursday night, the Thomas Fire in Ventura County, Calif. has burned 115,000 acres, taking with it countless homes and impacting thousands of families. Included in that group is one of WAAY31's own. sports director Jesse Merrick's family home was lost in the blaze Tuesday, taking with it everything his mother Kat Merrick owned. Luckily everyone in the family made it out safely and they are pushing through this tough time.
Thanks to insurance they will be able to rebound but many others in the area won't be as fortunate. For that reason, the Merrick family is planning to use Kat Merrick's non-profit Totally Local VC, which is a collaborative initiative focused on promoting the importance and success of our local agriculture and business community to help rebuild their community.
Through Totally Local VC, the family has started a GoFundMe page to help support those impacted by the fires as they look to rebound and rebuild in the midst of this devastation.
- Southern California wildfires hit home for one of WAAY 31's own
- California wildfires kill 31 people, with more devastation to come
- Erin Dacy says goodbye to WAAY 31
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Veterans Choice
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Protecting Patients
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Tianaa Dangers
- Northern California wildfires spreading
- WAAY 31's Top 10 Stories of 2017
- WAAY 31's MaryLee Adams on coaches concerns
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Sheriff Ana Franklin's questionable connections