Southbound lanes of U.S. 231 were closed south of Monroe Road in Meridianville because of the two-car accident involving a semi truck and a sport utility vehicle. The Madison County Sheriffs department said the driver of the SUV died at the scene.
A Waffle House is close to where the accident happened and several employees were outside taking their break when they saw the accident happen, "We looked up and saw an 18 wheeler and started runnin," said Kirsti Lanier.
Lanier works at Waffle House and she called 911 right away. She has some emergency medical technician training and tried her best to provide as much first aid as possible. It was incredibly difficult, because the driver was pinned against the utility pole, "we came up with a game plan of lets try and pry this door open. The door wasn't moving. The truck was too heavy," Lanier.
Lanier said the truck driver was distraught and pacing around the scene, "he tried. He honked. He slammed as hard as he could trying to miss her. He even swerved a little bit, but that truck was just too big to make a fast movement," said Lanier.
Every time she comes to work Lanier will be thinking of this accident and be praying for the friends and family of the driver, "we tried our hardest and we'll never forget, ya know," said Lanier.
Alabama State Troopers are investigating to figure out exactly what happened. The Madison County Coroner is not releasing the identity of the driver right now, because they are still informing the family.
- One dead because of accident on Highway 231
- 18 Wheeler wreck on US Highway 231
- Highway 231 detours see Friday morning traffic
- Highway 231 construction delaying other road projects
- Highway 231 shutdown impacts local business
- Highway 231 closure causes headache for drivers
- City Arab to get LED lights along Highway 231
- Stranded 18-wheeler causes delays on Highway 231 detour
- Auburn University team expected to help analyze Highway 231 damage
- Highway 231 detours impacting first responders' speed in emergencies