In an update given by city leaders Thursday, WAAY 31 learned the old Grissom High School building will essentially be cut in half in October.
One half will stay standing and become the Sandra Moon Complex.
The other half will be torn down and rebuilt as the new library.
"It will make it a community center, a gathering place, an area where people can come for meetings to exchange information, and to just connect with their neighbors," Huntsville councilwoman Jennie Robinson said.
The project has fund raised $6.6 million. The goal is $10 million.
- South Huntsville library groundbreaking set for January
- Demolition for the South Huntsville Library completed
- Huntsville Library offers free flu shots
- Heavy smoke in South Huntsville
- Groundbreaking for $200 million Blue Origin facility
- Goodbye Grissom, Hello library
- South Huntsville road project includes new park
- Fire in South Huntsville displaces family
- South Huntsville shooting leaves victim critically injured
- Police investigating shooting in south Huntsville