According to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, skeletal remains were found in a wooded area between Section and Powell Tuesday night. The Jackson County Sheriff held a press conference at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday.
"I was shocked that they actually found some remains," said Terry Garner, a resident nearby.
Deputies are combing a wooded area near County Road 120 in Dutton after kids found a skull. Officials are looking for more remains, and they say the bones have been there for a while. They are not sure exactly how long though or whether or not it's just one body.
Teeth were found with the skull, and one lead links the remains to a missing person case from 2006 where someone roamed off from a nearby assisted living home.
"It may not be him we don't know but the last time he was seen was in this area," said Sheriff Phillips.
The sheriff, Rocky Harnen, says they are currently treating this investigation like a homicide, until they find out how the person died. Deputies say search dogs will be brought into the woods to try to find more bones.
- Skeletal remains found in woods in Jackson County
- Body found in woods in Jackson County
- Meth, moonshine found in Jackson County home
- Remains found in Jackson County believed to be those of missing Decatur man
- Three sets of remains found in Jackson Co. over three-month period
- Two in custody after body found in Jackson County
- Woman dies after being found on road in Jackson County
- Human remains found inside following Limestone County house fire
- Remains in Jackson County believed to be missing man from 2016
- Franklin County escapee captured in wooded area