Photo Gallery 1 Images
A construction worker in Florence was rushed to Huntsville Hospital after Florence Fire said he was overcome with carbon dioxide while working in a tunnel on Thursday morning.
It happened while the worker was in a tunnel under Veterans Drive and Cole Avenue.
Firefighters said when they got to the worker in the tunnel he was unresponsive, but revived when taken into the fresh air.
Officials said there was natural gas in the tunnel but believe some of the construction equipment failed to monitor the carbon dioxide levels
"He was about 50 feet into the tunnel," said Dennis Brown, a Battalion Chief with Florence Fire.
"They did have a fan blowing in the tunnel and they had an air monitor also, but it evidently was not working."
Winds prevented the man from being airlifted to Huntsville Hospital, so instead he was taken by ambulance.
The man's name wasn't released. He is only described as being in his 20s.
- Construction worker overcome with carbon dioxide, collapses in Florence tunnel
- Two construction workers killed in scaffolding collapse
- Construction worker identified after deadly incident in Florence
- Too much rain delays construction of Florence Middle School
- Local utility workers help with Hurricane Florence recovery
- Florence police: Workers detain woman caught breaking into vehicles
- Community comes together to overcome flooded Morgan County neighborhood
- Construction worker injured at South Memorial Parkway work site
- Huntsville construction workers asking drivers to slow down
- Distracted driving impacting construction workers' safety in Morgan County