UPDATE: After more than 6 hours the stand-off on Jefferson Street in Courtland has ended and the suspect is deceased, said Chris Waldrep, Lawrence County Sheriff's Office spokesman.
He said the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation will be conducting the investigation into the incident.
The news release did not reveal how the 36-year-old man died.
Authorities in Courtland are at the scene of a standoff that started around 5:38 a.m. Friday.
Courtland police responded to a call at a home on Jefferson Street. The Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office says a 36-year-old man was causing a disturbance there.
The sheriff's office says officers were speaking to relatives when the man stepped out and began shooting. No one was injured.
The man has barricaded himself in the home, according to the sheriff’s office.
Florence/Lauderdale SWAT is at the scene helping police and the sheriff's office.
- UPDATE: Sheriff's office says suspect in Courtland stand-off is dead
- North Courtland fire department left without firefighters
- Courtland home invasion led to deadly shooting
- More jobs coming to Huntsville and Courtland
- Courtland wants high speed internet to bring in businesses
- Police: carbon monoxide likely killed 2 North Courtland men
- Makeshift homes could be outlawed in North Courtland
- Lockheed Martin breaks ground on new weapons facility in Courtland
- UPDATE: Madison County sheriff identifies burglary suspect
- Sheriff’s Office: Inmate found dead in Lawrence County Jail