The Marshall County Jail is now closed to visitors in an attempt to stop inmates from receiving contraband. The new Sheriff, Phil Sims, told WAAY 31, in just his first three days in office, deputies have found contraband inside the Marshall County Jail.
"It might be tough on people for a little while, but in the long run it'll be better," said Mike Casey.
Casey voted for the new sheriff and is glad to see changes already in the works.
"I know its frustrating not being able to see people in there but i'm sure he's working as fast as he can," said Casey.
We asked Sheriff Phil Sims how long visitation will be closed. He says as long as it takes to fix major safety issues at the jail.
The main issue deputies are tackling now is contraband. It's an issue everyone we talked to Thursday was well aware of.
"The biggest thing is making sure the contraband is out," said Casey.
People we talk to say they're hopeful the new sheriff will be able to curb the problem.
"I'm hoping so, I can't say he will. You know it always happens," said Janice Montero.
The sheriff says contraband is just one problem. He's got staffing and budget issues to also tackle.
- Sheriff Phil Sims suspends visitation at Marshall County Jail
- Marshall County sheriff’s son arrested, jailed
- Sheriff: Inmate kills himself in Marshall County jail
- Marshall County Sheriff blames under funding for jail incident
- Jail improvements underway at Marshall County Sheriff's Office
- Marshall County sheriff plans for more renovations at the jail
- Marshall County sheriff cleaning up the jail, his staff
- Jail renovations underway in Marshall County
- Repairs coming to the Marshall County Jail
- Lawrence County Sheriff's chief of staff suspended