An apartment complex suffered severe damage in Tuesday night's storm.
The damage was so bad, several people are having to move out of their homes.
According to officials, an apartment building at the Hunters Ridge Apartments in Huntsville has been deemed unsafe for occupancy after a tree crashed through the roof.
One tenant, Julia Finney, has only lived at the Hunters Ridge Apartments since January, and thanks to the storm Tuesday, she will now have to pick up and move again.
“I was just like shocked," Finney said. "I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, Mother Nature did this?’”
That’s what Finney was thinking when she saw a tree had fallen through her apartment building.
“I didn’t think that, you know, that it was like extremely bad," Finney said.
But Finney calls herself lucky, as some of her neighbors lost a great deal of their belongings.
“I feel really bad for them," she said. "I can only imagine how scary that situation must have been—especially for those that have kids.”
Finney says, because the building has been deemed uninhabitable, she and several others will have to move.
And because crews were working on the building all week, she has only now started packing.
“It’s a little frustrating since, like I mentioned, I’ve moved most of my life," Finny said. "And packing, you know, is one of the more frustrating things—especially if you have a lot of stuff.”
But Mother Nature at least didn't make her have to go far, as she will be moving into a different building in the same complex.
“Very relieved that I don’t exactly have to change like apartment complexes altogether, and that it’s not going to be quite as stressful," she said.
Finney says she just hopes she never has to go through something like this again.
“A similar situation is hopefully less likely to happen again. I know that, with Alabama, the weather can get pretty crazy, so I’m just like, you know, hoping for the best," she said.
Finney tells WAAY 31 she’s glad no one was hurt.
She also told us that while she and others wait to move into their new homes, the American Red Cross has provided the means for food, lodging, and clothing.
- Several forced to move after tree falls through apartment building
- Tree falls onto south Huntsville apartment building
- Crews work to remove tree from south Huntsville apartment building
- Plans for residents unknown after tree falls on Huntsville apartments
- Early morning fire destroys Huntsville apartment building
- Weekend storm creates potential for falling trees
- Man forced from small apartment in early morning fire
- Huntsville Police officers save people from burning apartment building
- 5 people shot at a Memphis apartment building
- Police Chief: 'Big fire' at apartment building in downtown Arab