On Monday, the office of Senator Doug Jones announced he has requested an investigation into recent allegations of neglect and mistreatment of veterans at the Floyd E. “Tut” Fann State Veterans Home in Huntsville.
Senator Jones wrote a letter to Michael Missal, Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, requesting that the agency investigate the allegations and the federal VA facility inspection process.
Jones's office says reports of mistreatment at Tut Fann surfaced last week when former employees of the state-owned facility said that staff negligence led to the mistreatment of veterans in their care. He says despite the facility passing a federal inspection in August 2018, employees allege negligence that led to bed sores, improper feeding of veterans and an inadequate response to a Scabies outbreak.
Jones's office says, although the facility was determined to be “deficiency free” during last year’s inspection, employee reports of negligence at the facility go back years, and the facility has an official record of violations that dates back to 2013.
“This fact begs the question: was the 2018 inspection of the facility deeply flawed, or was the evaluation intentionally misrepresentative?” Senator Jones wrote in the letter.
“I am asking that you investigate these allegations and the apparent failures in our inspection process that led to these egregious circumstances in Huntsville,” Senator Jones said. “I am committed to working with you and my colleagues in Congress to ensure the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has all resources necessary to fulfill this mission.”
Legislation signed into law in 2018 requires the federal VA to submit an annual report to Congress on the ratings given to VA-run nursing homes.
- Senator Jones requests investigation into allegations of mistreatment at Huntsville veterans nursing home
- State veterans home in Huntsville undergoing audit after allegations of mistreatment
- Veterans Affairs commissioner: No evidence of mistreatment at Huntsville's Tut Fann veterans home
- Democratic US Senate candidate Doug Jones holds rally in Huntsville
- Senator Doug Jones will be in Huntsville this Friday
- Senator Doug Jones to hold town hall in Huntsville
- Senator Doug Jones visits Huntsville to speak on government shutdown
- Florence police investigating reported 'sexual interaction' at nursing home
- WAAY 31 I-Team: Contractor says Huntsville veterans nursing home complaints may come from disgruntled ex-employees
- Huntsville nurse surprised with Army honor