UPDATE: Sgt. Chad Pate, Northern District Assistant Commander of the ALEA/DPS-Marine Patrol Division, said the body of Derek Lane has been recovered.
The body of the missing boater was discovered by a local fisherman this morning. Limestone/Athens Search & Rescue, Morgan County Search & Rescue, Limestone County Sheriff's Office and ALEA Marine Patrol Division assisted with the recovery.
Search and rescue crews are back out on Wheeler Lake today searching for Derek Lane.
Law enforcement officials say Lane either fell from or jumped off a boat Tuesday night and never made it back to shore.
Wednesday morning, the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office announced the search for Lane had shifted from a rescue mission to a recovery effort.
- Body of missing boater recovered in Wheeler Lake
- 'That's why I was sent there:’ Man who found body of missing Wheeler Lake boater hopes family has closure
- Search for missing Smith Lake boater suspended after 2 weeks
- Search for boater missing on Smith Lake to resume Monday
- Officials: Body of Kelsey Starling recovered at Smith Lake
- Officials suspend search for missing boaters
- Search effort ongoing for missing Florence boater
- Missing CDC worker's body recovered in Atlanta river
- Body recovered from Elk River identified as missing kayaker
- 33 bodies recovered after California boat fire, 1 missing