Photo Gallery 1 Images
A car crash in Lauderdale County killed one student, and hospitalized two others on Monday.
Rogers High School officials said 15-year-old Colby Thigpen was killed in a car crash on Highway 43 at the intersection of County Road 73. State Troopers said Thigpen was riding in a car driven by another teen when the crash happened.
Thigpen was just a week shy of starting his sophomore year at Rogers High School. Jamie Burks, the principal at Rogers High School, said the teen driving the car Thigpen was in is also a Rogers student. She was released from the hospital.
Officials said the man driving the other car involved in the crash is still in the hospital but expected to be okay.
Thigpen was described as a good kid who was quiet but always stepped up to offer a helping hand if needed. Burks said he visited with Thigpen's family on Tuesday and said they're still in shock at his loss and devastated. Burks said it's the worst phone call any parent or faculty member can get.
"My heart sank and I thought about Colby, the young man he was, and his family," said Burks. "I thought about our students, faculty, and our community."
State troopers are continuing to investigate what led up to the car crash.
School officials said they will have counselors up at the school if any of Thigpen's classmates need to speak with them.
- Rogers student killed in car crash
- Rogers High School senior killed in car crash on her way to school
- Teen killed in Shoals car crash
- Hazel Green teen killed in car crash
- Child killed in Colbert County car crash
- Florence man killed in car crash
- 2 killed in Cullman County car crash
- Five children killed in Maryland car crash
- Car crash kills Cullman woman early Sunday
- Deshler students mourning the loss of senior killed in car crash