It's going to be a packed house in Madison this time next year. The Rocket City Trash Pandas' stadium will now seat 500 more fans than initially expected.
The team says architects found room in the ballpark for additional box and reserved seats that will be sold to season ticket buyers.
"We went back to the drawing board. We looked at the shop drawings. We knew that we had some additional seating that had been added," the Trash Pandas team owner, Ralph Nelson, said.
Nelson says some changes to the stadium helped make extra space for seating that initially wasn't planned.
"We also had to make some changes in the ballpark. One was we added a restroom to the visitors dugout, which actually added some seats," Nelson said.
Nelson says the City of Madison also helped add more seats in the stadium. The team recently sold out of their season tickets, but the newly acquired additional seats will now be sold to season ticket buyers.
Nelson says there was such a high demand for season tickets, they couldn't keep up. Now, the seating capacity is on the rise.
"There's about 5,000 fixed seats, which is exactly half the fixed seats they had at Joe Davis Stadium, but that was important to us," Nelson said.
Nelson wants to strike a balance between a stadium that is small enough to feel close to the players, but big enough to hold a good crowd.
"We're very fortunate, we got the additional seats that allowed us the additional season tickets," Nelson said.
Construction of the stadium remains on schedule.
- Rocket City Trash Pandas stadium increases seating by 500
- Rocket City Trash Pandas Release 2020 Schedule
- Rocket City Trash Pandas announce name of new stadium in Madison
- Madison City students tour Trash Pandas Stadium construction site
- Rocket City Trash Pandas: Name of baseball team announced
- Rocket City Trash Pandas announce partnership with Pepsi
- Date announced for Rocket City Trash Pandas' uniform reveal
- Rocket City Trash Pandas owner speaks after MLB player dies
- Rocket City Trash Pandas to make big announcement on Monday
- Rocket City Trash Pandas mascot’s name has teeth