Runners will take on 26.2 miles Saturday morning, but this year also includes a half-marathon for those wanting to run 13.1 miles.
The race starts and ends downtown at the Von Braun Center. The course takes runners across much of Madison County, even out to the Space and Rocket Center. Josh Whitehaed works for NASA, and the Rocket City Marathon means a little extra this year.
"I know we get to run through the rocket garden at the space and rocket center and I'm entirely pumped," Whitehead said. "I definitly want to defend. This is our home turf. I'm going to run the best I can."
His daughter, Maddie, is his training buddy. She's already ran 35.2 miles this fall and will add a mile Saturday to complete the Kids Marathon.
Money from the races benefit, Girls On The Run, an after school program providing support for young women in North Alabama.
- Rocket City Marathon adds half marathon to weekend races
- Runners take to the streets for the Annual Rocket City Marathon
- Cold weather and rain didn't affect runners in The Rocket City Marathon
- Blind runner, guide dog trio makes history in NYC Half Marathon
- Rocket City Fair announced
- Boston Marathon bomber's lawyers want death sentence tossed
- Rocket City Trash Pandas add Braves exec, Huntsville leader to team management
- Alabama arrives for the Rocket City Classic
- Rocket City Bash coming up March 27
- Olympic Gold Medalist in Rocket City