Repaving work that was scheduled to start Sunday night has been delayed due to weather, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation.
A spokesperson told WAAY 31 that work was called off for the night due to the rain that moved across the Tennessee Valley on Sunday. He said that the work would begin at 6 p.m. Monday night, weather permitting.
The roadwork is scheduled to happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. for the northbound lanes and from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. on the southbound lanes.
The repaving extends from Old Big Cove Road to Bassett Street and will cost $1.8 million according to ALDOT.
"Well its concerning since Cecil Ashburn is already shutdown and that's supposed to be several more months I understand, and it's just going to make it even more difficult to get in and out of the city," John Cornelius, who takes Governors Drive almost everyday said of the upcoming project.
Now that a portion of the popular route will temporarily go from two lanes to only one, Cornelius might think twice about taking it.
"Multiple projects going on simultaneously it seems like they could have found a way to do them at separate times," Cornelius said.
The Alabama Department of Transportation is looking to start a re-surfacing project that would reduce weather-related accidents along Governors Drive.
The project will cover 5 miles of road from the intersection of Old Big Cove Road and US Highway 431, past Monte Sano Mountain, and to Bassett Street.
Crews will use a specific mixture that would reduce the amount of standing water on the road. They have to do it now with the specific temperature. One lane going each direction will be open while the project is being done.
Cornelius isn't happy about impending traffic delays, but understands it's for the best.
"I have seen accidents on Governors and of course I'm all for minimizing those so I understand why they are doing what they're doing."
The project is scheduled to be finished by the start of school, but weather delays could change that.
- Road work on Governors Drive delayed due to rain
- Rain causes delay to road work projects
- Traffic alert: Delays on Governors Drive
- Traffic alert: Wreck causing major delays on Governors Drive
- Repaving underway on Governors Drive in Huntsville after 48-hour delay
- Traffic Alert: Crash on Governors Drive in Huntsville causes delays
- Traffic Alert: Expect delays in Limestone, Morgan counties due to road work
- Repaving work on Governors Drive cancelled due to shortage of material
- School delays due to cold weather
- School closings and delays due to weather