A big project is underway at the Arsenal.
Crews are adding a northbound lane to Rideout Road from Gate 9 to I-565.
We found out, it may be a headache now, but it will benefit thousands of people in the future. About 40,000 vehicles drive on and off the post every day.
The Arsenal says it's widening the road out of Gate 9 to move people out faster and safer.
"This construction behind me is absolutely terrible," said Diana Watkins, a commuter.
Diana Watkins is one of many commuters who struggle to get to work everyday. She said it already takes her nearly an hour and half to get to work in the morning.
Once changes to Rideout Road are complete, it will benefit every driver who comes through.
"At the end of the day, our goal is to make sure that everything we do benefits our commuters and our workforce coming on and off the installation every single day," said Julie Frederick of the U.S. Army Redstone Garrison.
Julie Frederick is the Public Affairs Director for the U.S. Army Redstone Garrison. She says right now, Rideout Road is too narrow, so adding a lane to the northbound side will reduce crashes as drivers head to the interstate.
"Make sure that we have enough lanes going north further to the 565 on-ramp that do not impede with the 565 eastbound on-ramp that you hit first," said Frederick
The Arsenal insists work will be finished by 3 p.m. everyday so it doesn't impact afternoon drive times. As work started Wednesday morning, we found some extra traffic, but Watkins says it doesn't make a difference for her.
"This traffic is terrible any which way you go, and I haven't seen any changes whatsoever," she said.
For now, she'll take a deep breath and try not to get angry along the way.
"Take your time and drive safely. Many times people dodge in and out traffic," said Watkins.
Frederick told WAAY 31 the work will be completed by August 30th if the weather permits. She says this is something that is needed with all the new workers they'll have in the next few months.
During the day, drivers can expect periodic closures on the northbound side. After 3 p.m., the road will be open.
- Rideout Road construction begins in Huntsville
- Traffic Alert: Wreck at Rideout Road in Huntsville causing delays
- Traffic alert: Accident on Rideout Road
- Traffic alert: Accident reported on Rideout Road
- Traffic alert: Rideout Road work set for Friday through Monday
- Traffic Alert: Use caution at Rideout Road in Huntsville due to wreck
- Traffic Alert: Expect delays on portion of Rideout Road in Huntsville due to wreck
- Huntsville police: 4 people taken to hospital after wreck on Rideout Drive NW
- New South Huntsville Library construction set to begin in January
- Construction set to begin on severe weather safe room in Owens Cross Roads