Ten employees are now out of jobs after a Morgan County BBQ restaurant caught fire. The overnight fire destroyed "Kickin' Butts BBQ and Catering" in Somerville. The BBQ restaurant has extensive smoke damage. The owner of the restaurant says the kitchen is burned up and all the employees are devastated.
"It's kind of like walking through a fog right now, just trying to figure all of this out," said restaurant owner, Adam Sheppard.
"It's just like a dream. A bad dream. There's no way. We couldn't believe it," said Adam's wife, Tina Sheppard.
This is how the owners of Kickin' Butts BBQ and Catering reacted when they learned it caught fire early Monday morning.
"I don't know of any words to describe it. I'm really heartbroken right now. This is tough. I've been building this thing for two and a half years," said Adam Sheppard.
Adam and Tina Sheppard say the inside of the building is a mess.
"TV is melted on the wall. Just total devastation. It'll be hard to save anything," said Tina Sheppard.
They say this restaurant became their second home and now the ten employees, whom they call family, are out of jobs.
"If we have to help them find other jobs, we will for the time being so that they can make it," said Tina Sheppard.
The Sheppards say they are now trying to find anything they can salvage and will open their restaurant again, whether it's in this building or not.
"We'll get through this together. We will be back. This just wasn't expected," said Adam Sheppard.
"We will rebuild and we are coming back. We're coming back. We will be back," said Tina Sheppard.
The owners tell me the Alabama Fire Marshal will be at the restaurant on Monday to continue the investigation into the cause of the fire. The Sheppards say their insurance company will also be coming to take a look at the damage.
- Restaurant fire in Somerville leaves 10 people without jobs
- 9 suspects arrested in Somerville drug bust
- People in Somerville dealing with flooding are prepared for more rain next week
- Decatur home on Somerville Road experiences severe storm damage
- Decatur police investigating weekend death on Somerville Road
- Hundreds gather for candlelight vigil honoring LaKresha Somerville in Ardmore
- 1 Somerville man dead, 1 injured in Morgan County crash
- Flooding closes road in Somerville, residents prepare for more rain
- Suspects wanted for armed robbery at Somerville Dollar General
- Somerville man killed after crashing vehicle into utility pole