Photo Gallery 1 Images
Residents are displaced and a dog is dead after an early Wednesday fire at a Madison apartment complex.
Fire crews spent most of the night and early morning at Magnolia Pointe at Madison Apartment Homes in the 7900 block of Madison Pike.
No people have been reported injured, but a dog inside one of the units died. Firefighters say the fire started in a unit on the second floor and left residents of 16 units displaced.
Multiple people are displaced because power was cut to one building. Fire crews said some residents will be able to go back to their homes once power is restored.
Those who lived in the unit where the fire started will not. The American Red Cross is assisting them.
Lacy Logue lives at Magnolia Pointe and said seeing people run from their homes was unreal.
"I heard someone scream, 'Fire,' so I looked up and I could see the fire coming out the rooftop of the unit," she said. "People with no shoes and, you know, in their pajamas, things like that, and it just seemed like it wasn't really true, but it was."
The fire remains under investigation.
"Our fire marshal's office will work with the apartment managers here and the apartment folks here to make sure these people can get back in as soon as possible," a Madison Fire Department captain said.
We also talked to the property manager at the complex who said they are working with the residents to determine next steps.