At a Huntsville, Alabama rally in September, the president said, "Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!'"
Trump has had a contentious relationship in recent months with the NFL, sparring with owners, players and others in the organization about the controversial practice of players kneeling during the national anthem to raise awareness to racial injustice and police brutality.
President Donald Trump is presented with a New England Patriots football helmet by Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft during a ceremony at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, April 19, 2017.
President Donald Trump is presented with a New England Patriots jersey by Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, left, and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, center, during a ceremony at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, April 19, 2017.
Tonight, though, President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump will join millions of other Americans Sunday in hosting a Super Bowl watch party.
The first couple will host the get-together at Trump International Golf Club in Palm Beach, Florida, according to the president's schedule, released Saturday by the White House.
The New England Patriots will take on the Philadelphia Eagles at Minneapolis' U.S. Bank Stadium. Trump is friends with Patriots owner Robert Kraft, as well as quarterback Tom Brady.
The president kept mum when asked on Friday if he had a prediction which team would snag the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
"I better not get involved," Trump said.
Following the presidential party, the Trumps -- who have been spending the weekend at their Mar-a-Lago resort -- will return to Washington.
- Super Bowl LII: Remember what Pres. Trump said in Huntsville? "Get that son of a b***** off the field...!"
- Super Bowl LII: Eagles win!
- Super Bowl LII: Patriots and Eagles stand during National Anthem, President Trump revisits controversy
- Super Bowl LII: Pink's National Anthem could be bugged by flu
- Super Bowl LII: Philadelphia police prep to prevent 'pole-dancing' Eagles fans
- Historic Huntsville bowling alley closing up shop
- Justin Timberlake will probably make bank off the Super Bowl
- Mother remembers 19-year-old killed in Huntsville shooting
- Huntsville family remembers employee killed at Taco Bell
- Huntsville Rabbi remembers the victims from Pittsburgh's synagogue shooting