Redstone Arsenal is testing new, warfare technology that could be used in future combat vehicles.
The Mobile Experimental High Energy Laser, or MEHEL, is being tested on 8-wheel armor carriers. The technology of the laser will automatically sense, target, and shoot down drones in the air.
The laser was upgraded to a 10 kilowatt system in August 2018 to give it longer range and reduce the time it takes to destroy a drone.
According to the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command, the future plan is to implement the laser on multiple different combat vehicles.
- Redstone Arsenal developing drone-destroying laser
- Flooding impacts Redstone Arsenal
- Public weighs in on important developments involving Redstone Arsenal
- FBI development project to bring 1,350 jobs to Redstone Arsenal
- AMRDEC at Redstone Arsenal gets new director
- Redstone Arsenal quiet on government shutdown impacts
- Secretary of the Army visits Redstone Arsenal
- Solar power project operational at Redstone Arsenal
- Death investigation underway at Redstone Arsenal
- Vehicle crashes through fence onto Redstone Arsenal