Photo Gallery 1 Images
One Place of the Shoals is investigating an alleged rape on the University of North Alabama's campus.
According to UNA's crime log, the sexual assault happened at Mattielou Hall on UNA's campus on July 5th.
UNA officials confirmed the incident was reported to UNA police and a non-student is at least one of the parties in the case.
UNA provided WAAY 31 with this statement:
"On July 5, an incident was reported to the University of North Alabama Police regarding an alleged offense by a non-student. The University takes all reports seriously and responded immediately. The appropriate officials have been notified, and the University is providing resources and support to the reporting party, consistent with university policy and procedure."
We asked for the front page of the police report, but we're told we'd have to file an open records request to get that. We did this and UNA officials said that part of our request is forthcoming.
UNA released an additional statement to WAAY 31 saying, "As previously stated, the University’s Title IX Office does not have jurisdiction over non-students, and therefore, would not be able to conduct an investigation. However, the Title Office is continuing to provide resources and support to the reporting party. The UNA Police Department, as a law enforcement agency, is conducting an investigation and will work with the District Attorney’s Office, as appropriate. To protect the integrity of the investigation, UNA cannot provide any additional information at this time."
No arrests have been made in the case.
Stay with WAAY 31 for updates
- Rape investigation underway at University of North Alabama
- Nationwide manhunt underway for Ohio rape suspects
- Death investigation underway in Decatur
- New tuition plan announced for the University of North Alabama
- Astronaut Scott Kelly to speak at University of North Alabama
- Student media group censures University of North Alabama
- University of North Alabama football has historic night
- University of North Alabama wins first home opener as a Division I university
- Rape investigation in Rogersville shuts down restaurant
- Sweden re-opens Julian Assange rape investigation