People around the country and around the world are remembering the 41st President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush. He died last night at the age of 94.
WAAY 31 spoke with state senator-elect Sam Givhan who remembers meeting President George H.W. Bush in Huntsville. Former President Bush was at the Von Braun Center in 2003. His son, George W. Bush, held a fundraising event when he was running for re-election.
Givhan cherishes his memories of President Bush.
"The first opportunity I got to vote for a President was for President Bush back in 1988. That was also the first time my wife got to vote for President Bush," said Sam Givhan.
Givhan has several photos with other politicians he's met. But, he'll never forget the day standing in line at the Von Braun Center waiting to meet President Bush.
"There were so many people up there and in line to get their picture taken with him," Givhan told us. "It was sort of a rush, hit the pose and move on. But it was still neat to meet the President. I met his son enough times to shake his hand and that was about it," Givhan said.
Givhan called the President a war hero who put his life on the line for our country and a tireless leader full of energy.
"This man was active in World War II and was many of the heroes we had there. I think people appreciate that. You have to admire that. He was in his 80's still doing jumps," Givhan said.
Givhan said Bush 41 had several accomplishments as President. Most importantly, he loved his family and this country and set an example for us all.
"I think being deliberate and doing what you think is the right thing for your country or your district, that's what we can learn from him. Without political repercussions and what it's going to cost you by doing the right thing," Givhan said.
President Bush died just less than 8 months after his wife, former first lady Barbara Bush died. They were married 73 years.
- Local leader remembers meeting President Bush in Huntsville
- George H.W. Bush funeral: Former presidents, world leaders to attend
- Funeral plans for President George H.W. Bush
- At second memorial service, Bush remembered for humility and humor
- George HW Bush now the longest living president
- Four presidents come together to pay tribute to Barbara Bush
- Former President Bush out of intensive care, making progress
- Ex-President George HW Bush released from Houston hospital
- Former President George H.W. Bush Dead at 94
- City leaders meet following police shooting