One man is now in custody after robbing a store after asking for change for a dollar.
It happened Monday morning around 8:30 at the 9th Avenue Grocery store in Huntsville. We spoke with the owner and customers who say they're thankful the suspect is now behind bars.
The store owner said after 30 years in business, this is the first time someone has robbed the store. Many of the customers we spoke to were shocked to hear what happened.
"I'm just surprised that would happen in this area just for the way the store is and the innkeepers, the way they handle everything, it's just horrible," said Tony Leslie, who shops at 9th Ave Grocery often.
Tony Leslie says he was hurt when he found out someone tried to rob the owner.
The store owner didn't want to go on camera but told WAAY 31 a man came in asking for change. When she opened the register, he tried to reach for the cash.
The owner held on to the register, but the suspect ended up getting away with some cash and hurt her wrist in the process.
"Someone's trying to take away something that you worked hard to keep, and it's just not a good thing, and I probably would have fought to keep mine too," said Leslie.
The owner said without all the surveillance cameras, she wouldn't have been able to help police catch the suspect. Less than 24 hours later, he was caught by Huntsville police and is now being questioned by an investigator.
"It's always a good thing when you get caught that quick, but it's a good thing he got caught in general," said Leslie.
We asked Huntsville police for more information on the suspect, and they said they will provide it soon.
What we know so far is the suspect is a black male in his 50s. We do not know how much he actually took from the store.
- Police arrest suspect accused of stealing money from West Huntsville grocery store
- Huntsville Police search for suspect in grocery store burglary
- Huntsville Police arrest suspect on counterfeit money charges
- Florence police arrest liquor store robbery suspect
- Woman shot, killed inside Birmingham grocery store
- Police: Multiple people shot in Kentucky grocery store
- Huntsville police arrest GameStop robbery suspect
- Huntsville police arrest purse snatching suspect
- Four suspects arrested in Atlanta for Huntsville jewelry store robbery
- Huntsville Police need help identifying liquor store burglary suspect