An Elkmont man is facing a theft charge in Lawrence County after a Winston County hunter recognized the man sleeping in a vehicle that was reportedly stolen.
Moulton police say the suspect, Steven Lewter, stole someone's truck at a Murphy USA Friday night after being stranded by another person at Walmart. The man took the truck and traveled south on Alabama Highway 157.
Early Saturday morning, police say a hunter in Winston County spotted the truck with the suspect inside the vehicle. Investigators say the hunter recognized the truck. This is when the hunter held Lewter at gunpoint and notified Winston County authorities of the situation.
Lewter was booked in the Lawrence County Jail on a theft of property charge, and he was also being held for a possible parole violation as of Saturday.
Police thanked the hunter for his role in catching the suspect.
- Police: Hunter stops Moulton theft suspect by holding him at gunpoint
- Moulton Police find 9 pounds of marijuana during traffic stop
- Chase leads Moulton Police to drugs and money, suspect escaped
- Suspect arrested on multiple charges after chase with Moulton police
- Hartselle Police investigate auto burglaries, gun thefts near Hunter Lane
- Historic fire doesn't stop annual Strawberry Festival in Moulton
- Limestone County sheriff: Grandmother holds chase suspect at gunpoint while granddaughter calls 911
- Grandma holds suspect at gunpoint until deputies arrive in Limestone County
- PHOTOS: Decatur police searching for theft suspect
- Car GPS helps police catch theft suspect