DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) - Police in Alabama say a patient of a hospital's behavior unit has been caught raping another patient.
The Dothan Eagle reports 30-year-old Derrick Gilbert was arrested Monday and charged with first-degree rape. Dothan Police Lt. Lynn Watkins says Gilbert went into another Southeast Health patient's room and "engaged in a sexual act that was not consensual."
Watkins says a hospital employee walked in as the assault was happening. It's unclear if the victim reported the assault to police or was underwent a sexual assault exam. The hospital policies surrounding assault and patient separation also are unclear.
Gilbert is represented by a court-appointed attorney who has requested a preliminary hearing.
- Police: Hospital behavioral patient caught raping patient
- Cancer patients celebrate "Survivors' Day"
- Decatur students comfort cancer patients
- Three patients die after receiving excessive pain medicine, hospital says
- New medical technology saves patients from amputations
- WAAY 31 I-Team Investigation: Protecting Patients
- Woman sought by Huntsville Police for cashing elderly patient's checks
- Hospitals: Stop visiting patients if you have these 8 flu-like symptoms
- 3 year old donates new bike to cancer patients
- Decatur doctor sued by former patients over groping allegations