The 21-year-old girlfriend of the man killed in a shooting at Opry Mills in Nashville was arrested after it was discovered she had two stolen guns in her purse, ABC 33/40 reported Friday.
Alexandria Lavender is charged with two counts of theft and possession of a weapon. Lavender's boyfriend, Demarco Chuchcwell, died at the hospital after Thursday's shooting. Police arrested 22-year-old Juston Golson for the shooting.
According to police, Lavender was reluctant to answer questions after the shooting. A witness reported seeing a gun in her purse. A subsequent check revealed two guns. It turns out both were stolen earlier this year in Davidson County.
According to WKRN-TV in Nashville, the accused shooter walked to the adjoining Opry House, entered the box office, and supposedly admitted to the crime. A retired police officer who happened to be in the lobby took his gun and waited with him until police arrived.
Police said Golson, who works in the mall, was involved in a fight with Churchwell earlier this year. It's believed that is what precipitated Thursday's shooting.
The Opry Mills Mall, which closed after the shooting, planned to reopen as usual on Friday morning.
- Police: Girlfriend of Opry Mills shooting victim had stolen guns in her purse
- Victim, suspect identified in Opry Mills shooting
- Albertville students at Opry Mills during shooting
- 1 dead after Opry Mills Mall shooting, suspect in custody
- Opry Mills Mall damaged in 2010 flood seeks more insurance money
- Woman's purse, late husband's wallet stolen at Decatur hospital
- Girlfriend of victim in deadly Decatur shooting wants justice
- Huntsville police arrest purse snatching suspect
- Decatur police: Man steals purse, gets $50,000 bond
- Scottsboro police: Teen shot by stolen gun has died