Huntsville Police have a warning for drivers. If you bypass the Cecil Ashburn Drive barricades, you be get caught.
Neighbors impacted by the 10-month closure of Cecil Ashburn said the road needs to be watched carefully for illegal activity, and Huntsville police agree.
"It's illegal to go around the barricade. Once officers make contact with somebody, they could also face other criminal charges or fines," said Lt. Michael Johnson with the Huntsville Police Department.
A lot of the patrolling will happen at night when construction workers aren't present. Johnson explained when the road was built about two decades ago, officers encountered the same issue.
"We had a couple of instances of teenagers being located up here just hanging out and frolicking after hours and that isn't something we are going to tolerate," he said.
If you're caught beyond the barricade, you are facing a $180 fine.
- Police: Drivers who go around Cecil Ashburn barricades will face tickets
- Navigating Cecil Ashburn alternate routes
- Following fatal wreck, drivers want Cecil Ashburn Drive widened
- Drivers make final preparations for Cecil Ashburn closure
- Cecil Ashburn Drive Shutdown: Alternate Routes
- Cecil Ashburn shutdown impacts business owners
- Cecil Ashburn Drive key project improvements
- Cecil Ashburn widening project moves in different direction
- UPDATE: Man killed in wreck on Cecil Ashburn Drive identified
- Cecil Ashburn Drive in Huntsville down to one lane