Photo Gallery 3 Images
Huntsville police say a search warrant on Tuesday inside an apartment Bonnell Drive resulted in the seizure of 2,985 Ecstasy pills, one pistol and $4,750 in cash.
Jazmon Daymond Wright of Atlanta was charged with trafficking in illegal drugs, carrying a concealed weapon and resisting arrest. His bond is set at $252,000.
Demetrius Joseph Tanksley and Brittany Renea Armstead were both charged with trafficking in illegal drugs. Their bonds are set at $250,000 each.
Sergeant Tony McElyea, the commander of the Madison-Morgan County drug task force, said his officers observed a drug deal happening on Tuesday night. They seized the nearly 3,000 pills they discovered.
"We try to take these drugs and get them in our possession instead of in the hands of those it could potentially harm," he said.
Sgt. McElyea said the drugs could be mistaken for candy.
"Anytime you have anything that looks innocent, you always worry about it getting into the wrong hands of somebody who may think it is something else. You always worry about it getting into the hands of a child that consumes it, could potentially be life threatening," he said.
Sgt. McElyea said the drug can be deadly for adults as well.
"It is a club drug. That's where the overheating comes in. People take the drug, they start dancing, they get hot, they overheat and that's where the danger to their life and their health come to play," he said.
The drugs are normally made at home, so there is also no way to know what's inside of it.
"The problem with these drugs are just because you get one and everything is fine one time, the next time you get some, they may not be the same that are inside those pills. You never know what you're taking, and you never know if it's what in them could be potentially life-threatening," he said.
Police say the street value of the drug is approximately $30,000.
- Police: Almost 3,000 Ecstasy pills seized from Huntsville apartment
- DeKalb Co. Sheriff: Man arrested, 121 ecstasy pills found during traffic stop
- Scottsboro police arrest 2, seize more than 700 oxycodone pills
- Ecstasy, marijuana and meth found in weekend drug busts
- Huntsville police seize $98,000 worth of drugs, guns and money
- Athens man arrested after $350,000 in pot plants, meth, pills seized
- Colbert County sheriff: 2 arrested after drugs, guns, pills seized in multi-agency raid
- 3,000 wreaths for veterans passed out in Huntsville
- Guns, hundreds of Xanax pills, heroin found in Huntsville bust