UPDATE: Joseph Berg posted bond and was released Wednesday, November 28.
According to Chief Deputy Rocky Harnen with the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, a Pisgah High School student was arrested on Wednesday for making a terrorist threat while at school.
Harnen said 18 year-old Joseph Berg, a senior at Pisgah, was arrested after students heard him say he wanted to shoot people at the school and wanted them to die. The school resource officer was notified and contacted an investigator.
Harnen said they have a zero tolerance policy, so Berg was arrested and charged. The school system currently has four SRO's that rotate between the schools and two of them were just hired in October.
Jackson County Schools Superintendent, Kevin Dukes, said the district has had about five threats since the Parkland school shooting and that they are taking Berg's threat seriously.
"You should come to school and feel safe. You shouldn't come to school worrying if the person sitting next to you is a danger."
A Pisgah mom, Amanda Boyce, said she home schools her 10-year-old son, in part, because she's worried about his safety at public school.
"When you're sending your husband off to work you know that he can defend himself, but when you send your 10-year-old off on a yellow bus, you don't know what's going to happen," Boyce said. "You expect them to go and learn in a happy and safe environment, but then you have to worry about whether there are police cars there and their security."
The district added two new school resource officers in October, and Dukes said the officer there moved quickly to arrest Berg. He said no weapons were found in Berg's locker or on him, but he doesn't want Berg back in class.
Dukes said the district is looking to add more school resource officers, but the issue right now is money.
- Pisgah student arrested for making a terrorist threat
- Student in custody after Pisgah High School social media threat
- Huntsville man arrested for making terroristic threats on the lives of police officers
- Former Pisgah clerk indicted for stealing
- Pisgah hires Jeremy Pruitt's brother as next football coach
- Former Clerk of Pisgah convicted for stealing money from town
- Cherokee student arrested for school threat
- Student arrested after making threat at Section High School, officials say
- Tennessee man arrested, charged with making holiday threat
- Madison police arrest juvenile for school threat