A man trying to cross the street is now dead after bring hit by a car on Saturday night. The accident happened on Patton Road at the intersection of Bob Wallace Avenue.
Huntsville police say 28-year-old Jacob Blackwell later died from his injuries at Huntsville Hospital. This is the fifth pedestrian death in Huntsville this year.
"We were actually in the car when it happened. It just shocked us. The car stopped over here," said Benny Dupree.
Benny Dupree witnessed Saturday night's pedestrian accident. He said he was sad when he learned the man hit by a vehicle died from his injuries.
"I hate for something like that to happen. Just the emotions and thoughts that were probably going through his head," Dupree said.
Dupree and other drivers say they have major concerns with Patton Road and Jordan Lane at the intersection of Bob Wallace Avenue.
"Maybe if they would hurry up and widen the roads towards the Arsenal. During the mornings and afternoons, it's just so packed," said Timothy Gledhill.
"With the way the drivers are up and down this street, they go pretty fast. Sometimes pedestrians are scared to walk across the street, because they go pretty fast," Dupree said.
Huntsville Police haven't confirmed whether Blackwell jaywalked or used the cross walk.
"Make the cross walk more visible for folks, because if you look now, you can barely see the cross walk," Dupree said.
"There's jaywalking over here 24/7. I think some things should be enforced as far as jaywalking and the cross walks," Gledhill said.
Patton Road and Jordan Lane are on the 2035 Huntsville transportation plan. Timothy Gledhill said he is already aware of this and other projects on the city's budget.
"Why wait? Let's make this happen, and we have a school right down here. If not for the safety of our school and children, but for pedestrians like that gentleman," Gledhill said.
The driver and the victim were both given toxicology kits. Criminal charges aren't expected at this time.
- Pedestrian hit and killed when trying to cross Patton road
- Pedestrian killed crossing Decatur street
- Crews extinguish fire on Redstone Arsenal off Patton Road
- Huntsville police identify pedestrian killed crossing Memorial Parkway Friday night
- Pedestrian killed in Limestone County
- Pedestrian hit and killed on Chapman Mountain identified
- Pedestrian killed in hit-and-run on Memorial Parkway
- UPDATE: Huntsville police identify pedestrian hit and killed
- Pedestrian hit and killed by train in Athens
- Pedestrian hit and killed by RV in Decatur