Only the third floor of the Lawrence County Courthouse will reopen today, as crews continue to work cleaning up after last week's fire in the courthouse.
The third floor has the offices of the circuit clerk, district attorney and board of registrars. The first and second floors remain closed until proper demolition and cleanup work is done, county officials said.
An electrical fire in the courthouse July 3 left smoke and water damage that shut down the building for the remainder of the week. Commissioners met Friday and decided only the third floor would open Monday.
According to the commission, there will be no late fees on renewing car tags while the work goes on at the courthouse.
- Only part of Lawrence courthouse open after fire
- Electrical fire forces Lawrence County Courthouse closure
- Lawrence County Courthouse still not completely open after fire
- Lawrence County Courthouse closed for remainder of the week
- Alabama 101 now open to local traffic in Lawrence County
- No fire hydrant near deadly Lawrence Co. fire
- Shooting reported in Lawrence County
- Lawrence County elects new sheriff
- Lawrence County, Tenn. fire crews free goat from well
- Lawrence County man killed in wreck