Photo Gallery 1 Images
UPDATE from Jackson County Sheriff's Office:
On Wednesday September 18, 2019, at approximately 10 AM, a man walked into the Jackson County Courthouse in Scottsboro, AL. armed with a handgun on his side.
After being refused entry by Courthouse Security Deputies, the man drew his weapon and was shot. Medical attention was provided at the scene and he was later transported to Huntsville Hospital (Status unknown at this time).
No other injuries were reported. The man’s name is not being released at this time.
The State of Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) State Bureau of Investigations (SBI) was contacted and responded to investigate this shooting incident.
The Jackson County Courthouse will be closed for the rest of the day and will reopen on Thursday morning.
Sheriff Chuck Phillips wants to thanks all the agencies who responded promptly to the scene to assist especially the Scottsboro Police Department, Scottsboro Fire Department and Highlands Ambulance Service.
A civilian was shot by a Jackson County Sheriff’s Office deputy in the courthouse Wednesday morning.
Scottsboro Fire Department Chief Gene Necklaus confirmed the shooting.
He said the shooting took place inside the courthouse.
The deputy was not shot and does not have any apparent injuries, he said.
Jackson County Sheriff Chuck Phillips said a Jackson County man came in the courthouse with a handgun about 10 a.m.
Phillips said the man and deputies exchanged words, and both pulled out weapons.
He was transported to Huntsville Hospital by air.
Jackson County Commission Chairman Tim Guffey said the shooting took place at the front door of the courthouse.
He said the only person injured was the “man with the gun.”
The courthouse is shut down while the crime scene is investigated.
The State Bureau of Investigation will handle the investigation.
Stay with WAAY 31 on air and WAAYTV.com online for updates.
- Jackson County sheriff: Deputy shot man who drew weapon at courthouse
- Jackson County sheriff identifies man shot by deputy at courthouse, says he had 4 loaded magazines
- Man shot by deputy inside Jackson County Courthouse released from hospital
- Community on edge after shooting at Jackson County Courthouse
- 2 Florida Sheriff's deputies shot and killed
- Baldwin County deputy shot overnight
- Jackson County Sheriff’s Office searching for missing man
- Possible security changes coming to the Jackson Co. Courthouse
- Sand Mountain man shot at neighbor, weapon failed to discharge
- Jackson County sheriff: Deputies found 30 grams of meth during traffic stop