UPDATE: One person killed in overnight house fire in New Hope

The Madison County Sheriff's Office is investigating a deadly house fire in New Hope that appears to have started by a space heater.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 5:38 AM
Updated: Jan 15, 2019 6:54 PM

UPDATE: The victim is Ray Miller, 61. His wife, Lynell Miller, 61, survived the fire with no injuries, according to the Madison County Sheriff's Office.

The sheriff's office says that Lynell Miller was alerted to the fire by a cat, not dogs. Animals survived the fire as well. 

"I just called 911 and looked out the door and I could see the house was on fire," said Golden. 

Paul Golden says he was abruptly woken up when his neighbor, Lynell Miller, who he says he's never met, asked for help.

"It seemed like it was growing by the second. It was fast," said Golden.

New Hope Fire Chief Ronald Schrimsher says because of how modern homes are built, fires can spread quickly.

 "Most everything is plastic, or vinyl it puts out a tremendous amount of smoke that is black, covers everything up and you can cannot see to get out," said Schrimsher.

He also says as it gets colder homeowners need to keep an eye on their space heaters.

 "Keep pets from knocking it over, keep children from knocking it over, don't put it in a walking path," said Schrimsher.

He also says be careful not to overload extension cords and what you put near the space heater and if fire does happen stay low and move fast.

"Get out, survive," Schrimsher.

"I was going to go inside but the smoke was so bad I didn't know what else to do," said Golden.

---

An investigation is underway after a man was killed in an overnight house fire in New Hope.

A Madison County Sheriff’s spokesperson told WAAY 31 the fire happened just after 12:30 Tuesday morning along New Hope-Cedar Point Road in New Hope. A female in the home woke up to her dogs barking and found a fire near a space heater. Sheriff’s deputies said that’s when a male woke up and tried to put out the fire with extinguishers as the female ran next door to call 911. The man, according to deputies, was not able to make it out of the house due to smoke and was killed.

New Hope fire, Owens Cross Roads fire, Keel Mountain fire, New Hope Police, Madison County Sheriff's Deputies, State Fire Marshall, HEMSI and the Red Cross all responded to the fire.

The home was a total loss according to sheriff’s deputies. An investigation is ongoing, but deputies said it appears the fire started by a space heater.

Article Comments

Huntsville
Scattered Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 76°
Florence
Clear
74° wxIcon
Hi: 92° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 74°
Fayetteville
Clear
73° wxIcon
Hi: 90° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 73°
Decatur
Clear
75° wxIcon
Hi: 90° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 75°
Scottsboro
Clear
73° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 73°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

Community Events