Photo Gallery 1 Images
An investigation is underway to find out who shot and killed a 72-year-old woman in her Madison County home. The shooting happened in Ardmore off Elkwood Section Road. That's not far from Highway 53.
Madison County Sheriff's Office investigators were at this home for 12 hours on Tuesday. Patricia Payne, a neighbor, said she hopes the people responsible for the woman's death are caught.
"It shocked me very much. It's very close to home. It's scary," she said.
Payne said she's lived in the area for more than 20 years, and said she didn't realize the early morning homicide happened just down the road.
"It's a growing neighborhood. We have really enjoyed living here," she said.
Family members of the victim shared they believe a home invasion led to the 72-year-old woman's death. The sheriff's office hasn't confirmed if that's in fact what happened, but said investigators are talking with a person who was inside the home at the time of the shooting.
Payne said with the neighborhood growing, she didn't know her neighbor, but since they're close in age, it's tough to hear the news.
"When you get our age, it's hard to care for yourself especially when it comes to self-defense, and it's scary to think someone would go in and hurt someone my age," she said.
The sheriff's office hasn't released any information about possible suspects. However, investigators don't believe there is any threat to the public.
The sheriff's office says it has responded to the home five times in the past seven years. However, none of the calls are believed to be related to the homicide investigation.
- Madison Co. sheriff: Ardmore shooting investigated as homicide, victim a 72-year-old woman
- Madison County sheriff IDs homicide victim, says shooting ‘isolated incident’
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigating overnight shooting
- Victim in Decatur shooting dies, police investigating homicide
- Damage near Ardmore
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigating shooting on Monday night
- Madison County neighbors concerned about unhealthy-looking horse in Ardmore
- Lauderdale County Homicide Investigation
- Madison County Sheriff's Office lead investigator retires
- Jackson County authorities renew search for 72-year-old Decatur man