Huntsville Police are investigating after one person was killed in a wreck Monday around 1 a.m. on Bob Wade Lane west of WT Garrison Lane.
The wreck happened when one driver was headed eastbound on Bob Wade Lane and went off the left side of the road at what police say appeared to be a high speed. The vehicle struck a metal utility pole and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road.
"Any road is dangerous, but that road in particular for a distracted and or a driver under the influence is even more dangerous," said Lt. Michael Johnson with Huntsville Police.
Huntsville Police say high speed could have caused the car to veer off the road. Both the driver and his passenger, Jerry Humphrey Jr., were trapped in the vehicle. Humphrey was pronounced dead at the scene, and the driver was transported to Huntsville Hospital. He is expected to recover.
Huntsville Police said there have been nearly 140 crashes along the road in the past three years. Four of those wrecks were deadly.
According to police, drugs and alcohol are believed to have been a factor in the wreck.
"We're going to start paying attention to this road a little more especially during the holidays. Our DUI unit will patrol the areas that are within the city limits of Huntsville," Johnson added.
Huntsville Police are hoping to stop more families from experiencing the loss Humprhey's family is now going through right before Thanksgiving.
"It's also tragic for family members during the holiday season we don't see very many traffic fatalities in Huntsville, but the ones that have occurred before you have to think of not only the first responders, but also the families that have to deal with the loss," Johnson added.
Charged are expected to be filed against the driver pending a toxicology report and more investigation.
- One person dead in early morning wreck
- 1 dead in early morning Huntsville wreck
- One person dead in Athens car wreck
- 1 dead, 1 injured in early morning wreck on Jordan Lane near the I-565 overpass
- Early morning wreck temporarily shuts down Wall Triana exit
- Four injured, one arrested in early morning wreck
- UPDATE: Man killed in early-morning Limestone wreck identified
- Lawrence County School bus involved in early morning wreck
- Boaz school bus hit in early morning wreck
- Early morning Huntsville wreck sends three people to the hospital