Update: The man who called 911 about the car fire in Owens Cross Roads told WAAY 31 he tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
"It was just not enough to put out what we needed to get put out," said Curtis Jordan.
According to police, the fire killed an elderly man on Old Big Cove Road. The road was shut down for more than two hours.
WAAY 31 has called the Madison County Coroner to confirm the identity of the man. We are waiting on a response. About 6 p.m. Friday, police said they would be notifying the family that evening.
The man who called 911 said this fire was a difficult sight to see. Jordan and his construction crew were working on a project on Old Big Cove Road when, "we noticed some smoke billowing up from about 100 yards up the road," said Jordan.
They saw a Jeep rolling down the road. It eventually, "stalled in the middle of the road," said Jordan.
By the time it reached them, it was, "completely engulfed in fire," said Jordan, who used to be a volunteer firefighter in Tennessee.
He immediately grabbed a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, but it was not enough. They even tried to save the man inside.
"The fire was too intense for us to help get him out. We tried without putting anyone in any more danger," said Jordan.
The Alabama State Fire Marshal's office is investigating to find out exactly how this happened.
A man has died in a vehicle fire on Old Big Cove Road in Owens Cross Roads.
According to Don Webster, HEMSI spokesman, a caller reporter someone was driving the car when it burst into flames.
The Madison County Coroner is on the way to the scene. Madison Fire says Old Big Cove Road will be shut down from Green Mountain Road to Old Highway 431, and drivers should take an alternate route.
Stay with WAAY 31 on air and WAAYTV.com online for updates
- Man dead in Owens Cross Roads car fire
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Owens Cross Roads wreck
- Owens Cross Roads siren not working
- Huntsville police: Owens Cross Roads man killed in Monday wreck
- Body found in Owens Cross Roads was 13-year-old girl
- Storm safe room could be installed in Owens Cross Roads
- Bicyclist hit by vehicle in Owens Cross Roads
- Huntsville Utilities responds to Owens Cross Roads power outage
- Owens Cross Roads man leads police on chase through a field
- Remains found at Owens Cross Roads cemetery believed to be missing grandmother