UPDATE: Highway 67 has been re-opened.
54-year-old Laurence Thompson was driving and lost control, colliding into a vehicle driven by 74-year-old Margie Dean in the southbound outside lane.
Thompson was pronounced dead at the scene. Dean and 68-year-old Wanda Clark, a passenger in the vehicle she was driving, were transported to the Decatur-Morgan Hospital where Dean died soon after from her injuries.
Clark is currently at Huntsville Hospital and is in serious condition, according to the Decatur Police Department.
The Decatur Police Department, Decatur Fire & Rescue and First Response EMS responded to the scene.
Two fatalities have been confirmed from a multi-vehicle wreck on Highway 67 that occurred around 10:00 a.m. near the Wheeler Refuge headquarters.
Decatur Police say that three individuals sustained injuries. Their condition is unknown at this time.
All eastbound lanes are currently blocked, and one westbound lane has been converted to eastbound. Officials urge drivers to avoid the area and to expect delays while travelling.
- UPDATE: Highway 67 re-opened after fatal multi-vehicle wreck
- Multi-vehicle wreck shuts down Highway 20
- Driver killed in wreck on Highway 67 in Decatur
- Madison police: Avoid Highway 72, Wall Triana Highway due to multi-vehicle wreck
- Moores Mill Road shut down after multi-vehicle wreck
- Traffic Alert: Avoid South Bethel Road, Highway 67 South in Priceville due to wreck
- Traffic Alert: I-565 westbound trafffic west of Jordan Lane re-opens after 2 hurt in multi-vehicle wreck
- Madison police: Avoid County Line Road and Mill Road due to multi-vehicle wreck
- Traffic alert: Multi-vehicle wreck closes westbound I-565 at Madison Boulevard
- Fatal motorcycle wreck near UAH