Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) Troopers say an 8-year-old was ejected from a vehicle during a wreck Sunday morning.
They said the wreck happened at 7:40 a.m. at mile marker 343 near the Garrett Road overpass, which is about three miles north of Decatur.
According to troopers, a 2019 Dodge Durango that was driven by Mary Tobar, 50, of San Antonio, Texas, was heading southbound on I-65 when it left the road and flipped.
That's when the 8-year-old was thrown from the SUV and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Tobar was also injured and taken to the hospital. Troopers did not elaborate on the extent of her injuries. Two other passengers in the car were uninjured.
The Alabama Department of Transportation said the scene was clear by about 9:45 a.m.
- 8-year-old dead after Sunday morning wreck on I-65
- I-65 wreck grinds traffic to holiday halt
- 18-wheeler wreck blocks I-65 in Cullman County
- 1 dead in early morning Huntsville wreck
- One person dead in early morning wreck
- I-65 Southbound lanes back open after tractor trailer wreck
- I-65 Bridge Damaged
- UPDATE: I-65 Bridge Reopened
- Sunday morning showers
- 1 dead in Limestone County wreck