17 cadets can now call themselves Huntsville Police Officers after graduating from the Academy on Friday.
The new officers earned their badges after 18 long weeks.
They told us getting to this point wasn't easy.
"I would say the most surprising thing was how physically challenging it was and how you need everyone around you to get through the whole process you can't get through it alone," said Ashley Anderson one of the new officers.
The session started with 28 cadets, but ended with 17. 11 of them were unable to make it through the intense program.
Anderson told WAAY 31 she was familiar with the department before enrolling.
Her Dad's been with the force for almost 30 years, and she said she leaned on him throughout the academy.
"I called my dad everyday. He helped me through everything. There's days that I called him because I felt like I called him because I felt like I conquered the day. There's days that I felt like I couldn't go on to the next day" Anderson explained.
With his help she graduated 18 weeks later.
"He gave me motivation and told me to keep pushing myself," Anderson added.
The proud dad told us he's excited for her to start her career with the department, and he hopes to do a ride along with her once she get's her own patrol car.
"The best advice I could give to her is do your best and remember you work for the citizen of Huntsville," said Dave Anderson who's an Investigator with the department.
Monday the 17 new officers will start patrolling the Huntsville streets with their training officers. Training will last 14 weeks.
Huntsville Police told us the next training academy starts in August.
Applications for that Academy are already closed. However. the department is already taking applications for the following academy that starts in spring of 2019.
- Officers graduate from Huntsville Police Academy
- 24 new Huntsville police officers graduate from academy
- Huntsville Police officer shot
- Huntsville Police Department opens registration for its Citizen's Academy
- Huntsville Police Department taking applications for its spring academy
- Morgan County Sheriff's Office creates Citizen Academy
- Huntsville police warn of scammers impersonating officers
- Huntsville police officers cleared in deadly shooting
- Huntsville police officers receiving crisis intervention training
- Huntsville Police Officer charged with murder