Nuclear operations at The Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant showed WAAY 31on how to respond to emergency situations.
The 2018 emergency calendar was given to neighbors to explain what to do if you hear the sirens and how to evacuate or find a shelter during an emergency.
Operations training manager Chris Vaughn remembers what happened on April 27, 2011.
"There were numerous storms throughout the area that affected the nuclear plant throughout the day," said Chris Vaughn.
The power at the plant went out and caused many operators to keep a watchful and nervous eye on operations.
Since then, operators train on a regular basis with the simulators on how to follow emergency procedures in a calm manner, should the power ever go out again.
"That's putting the plants in a safe condition. Keeping the plants cool down. Making sure the diesel generators are running properly. That they're maintained as necessary," said simulator instructor David McConell.
All of the neighbors in a 10-mile radius of the plant received information on what to do if the plant was under an emergency.
"Basically we want to protect the health and safety of the public from any radio logical release that might occur at the plant if there's some type of accident," said emergency preparedness manager Brad Tidwell.
The operators train 6 weeks throughout a year.
- Nuclear operators at Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant train for safety procedures
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission conducts investigation at Browns Ferry plant
- Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant expects benefits from new solar panels
- Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant unit closed for upgrades
- Largest-ever TVA upgrade underway at Browns Ferry nuclear plant in Athens
- Developers to announce update on Bellefonte Nuclear Plant project
- Bellefonte nuclear plant could take five years of construction
- Tennessee Valley Authority pulled out of deal to sell Bellefonte Nuclear Plant in Jackson Co.
- Lawsuit against TVA over sale of Bellefonte Nuclear Power Plant will continue
- Shooting victim found at Browns Ferry Road and I-65