Photo Gallery 1 Images
There is a new layer of security in all Florence City Schools and your child's school in North Alabama might already have it.
You already have to be buzzed in at any Florence City School, but recently the school system added an additional security measure. Parents or anyone coming into the school must show a state issued ID and an instant background check done, before you can get passed the main office.
Your photo ID is put into the Raptors Technologies System and within seconds a national data base is searched with your information. Florence High School principal, Roderick Sheppard, explained the new piece of technology searches the national sex offender registry and other things.
"Anything that will be in the national registry that would show a sex offender or some type of outstanding crime that would cause a person to be considered dangerous," said Sheppard.
If someone is flagged school officials are notified immediately.
"If something's not clear I am notified as the principal, plus our school resource officer, that somebody on our campus might be considered as unsafe," said Sheppard.
The school system paid $12,000 total to have the technology in each school. School officials said with people coming in and out of the school they wanted the extra security measure in place.
"We spend a lot of money at Florence City Schools on a lot of different things but what's more important than the security of, not just the children, but the people who work here," said LuEllen Redding, who has children in the school system.
"As a mother of four it makes me more comfortable and ease knowing I'm sending my student into a safe learning environment," said Holly Jolly, another parent with kids in the Florence City School System.
Huntsville and Sheffield City Schools also have this technology in place and so does Limestone and Madison County Schools, according to Raptor Technologies Systems.
- New security system in Florence City Schools does instant background check
- Madison City BOE hires safety and security official with military and education background
- Huntsville teen who died by suicide was previously a student in the Florence City Schools system
- Alabama Senator Doug Jones wants background checks, changes after mass shootings
- Huntsville Police Officer, William Darby's background
- Florida woman charged with writing stolen checks in Florence
- Woman arrested for writing bad checks at Florence meat market
- Florence woman arrested after allegedly cashing stolen checks
- Florence Police arrest man for passing counterfeit check
- Florence police arrest Muscle Shoals woman on forged check charges