A new road is being built behind Central School in Madison County in order to help ease traffic in the area. It's expected to be ready in time for school.
The road cost around $50,000 to build and it can be accessed from Moontown Road right off Ryland Pike where the school is located.
Thursday, WAAY 31 got a chance to preview the half mile road that's nearly complete.
"Between 350 and 400 cars come through here everyday with the space we had that left about 150 cars out on the public road," said Alex Hughes the school's Principal.
Madison County District 3 Commissioner Craig Hill told us during drop off and pick up Moontown Road is at a complete standstill so he worked to get parents cars off the road.
"I hate to admit I had to pull out around the line up one day to get to an obligation but when I did it kind of stuck in my mind," said Hill.
He isn't the only one who's forced to do that.
"In the afternoon when the cars are backed up on Moontown Road the buses actually have to go past them to get those students home," said Hughes.
The new road won't only bring relief to Moontown Road, but Hill hopes the community will have access to it too.
"We're going to make an effort to control traffic on the road because it's intended for school use only and we want to open it to the community in the afternoon for them to use it as a walking trail," Hill added.
The new road has the principal at ease for the new school year.
"I think this will be much safer much more easily manageable," Hughes said.
Commissioner Craig Hill told us the project was funded by his district along with the help of State Senator Paul Sanford who's also over the area.
- New traffic pattern for Madison County School
- A stormy pattern persists
- Stormy pattern begins Thursday
- Traffic pattern changes coming to one downtown street
- Major pattern change begins today
- School improvements coming to Madison County Schools
- Madison police: Wreck on Madison Boulevard causing traffic delays
- Huntsville traffic stop finds Madison County rape, incest suspect
- New traffic lights almost finished in Madison
- Madison updating traffic lights to ease congestion