Neighbors are concerned after a second person was arrested in an incident where a man was beaten inside a Decatur home.
According to Decatur police, 32-year-old Cody Dudley was arrested on charges of first-degree kidnapping, first-degree robbery, and second-degree assault.
40-year-old Gary Murphy, Jr. was arrested on the same charges earlier this month. Police say more arrests are likely.
WAAY 31 talked to neighbors about the attack and learned what they hope to see happen.
“I’ve lived here 52 years and I ain’t never noticed nothing like that here, because everybody really gets along," said Ronald Smith. "I’m really just as shocked as ever about it.”
Smith says he never imagined a kidnapping or a robbery would happen on his street—much less both.
“We’re living this close and didn’t even know it.”
According to Decatur police, Cody Dudley and Gary Murphy, Jr. were charged after a man was attacked inside this home in April. But police say they believe more people could be involved. They’re expecting to make more arrests.
Now, after hearing the news, parents in the neighborhood are worried about their children’s safety.
My little girl, I just don’t want her around that stuff," one neighbor said. "And if that’s happening across the street, then I don’t want her around that.”
“I’m just hoping that type of stuff will stop, because, I mean, we’ve got kids out here," Smith added. "There’s kids out here every day, and that’s very dangerous right there.”
One dad says, after hearing what happened, he’s even considered leaving the neighborhood altogether.
"Maybe I need to move and relocate.”
Both neighbors say they just hope whoever else is responsible for the crime is caught soon.
Officials tell WAAY 31 the victim was able to get away from the home after the attack. The victim was taken to Decatur Morgan Hospital and has since been released.
- Neighbors react after kidnapping, robbery in Decatur
- Neighbors react to Decatur Fire
- Second man charged in Decatur kidnapping, robbery
- Decatur police charge man in rape, kidnapping
- Neighbors react to fatal shooting in Athens
- Neighbors react after woman shot at business
- Athens neighbors react to flooded road
- Neighbors react to construction accident in Huntsville
- Neighbors react after Decatur man has hot grease thrown in face, gets arrested
- Decatur man charged with convenience store robbery