Several folks in Limestone County are sleeping with one eye open after a shooting happened in their neighborhood and killed two people.
A call came in around 8:00 Friday night about a shooting on Airfield Road. One man died on the scene. The other was airlifted to Huntsville Hospital and died early Saturday morning.
WAAY 31 spoke with neighbors who live just a few doors down from where the two men were shot, and, now, those neighbors want to know who’s responsible.
“It sounded like an air rifle, and some of the kids around here have air rifles," Bethanie Raymo said. "So, when I heard the Spanish version, ‘no mas,’ which means ‘no more,’ I thought he was talking to a child, saying no more firing it.”
That was Raymo's first reaction when she heard gunshots in her neighborhood Friday night.
After learning the shots came from a real gun and not an air rifle, she panicked.
“I was freaking scared and I ran to the man I’ve been with for almost nine years now—I call him my husband, even though he’s my fiancé—I ran to him and I held onto him and I’m like, ‘uh uh, no,'" she said.
According to officials with the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, two people are now dead after a shooting that happened only a couple doors down from Raymo's home.
Officials say it’s too early to tell whether or not a third person was involved, so they’re taking all leads very seriously.
“Someone was here, somebody else," Mark Remington said. "I seen a red pick-up truck over there, parked, you know, very suspiciously."
“My friend had seen somebody fleeing in between the trailers," Raymo added.
Until investigators finish processing evidence and get the autopsy results back to determine what happened, those in the community are on edge.
"Oh crap, is this guy going to come after me next?”
“You know, he could go out and do it again," Remington said. "So, our law enforcement needs to tighten up their belt loop and go after this person with very high force.”
Officials tell WAAY 31 they believe the shooting was an isolated incident and they don’t believe there is any sort of threat to the public, but they say they will continue to investigate until they know for sure what happened.
The victims' identities have not yet been released.
We will keep you updated as we learn more.
- Neighbors on edge after fatal shooting in Limestone Co.
- Community on edge after shooting near Limestone County elementary school
- Victims identified in fatal Limestone County shooting
- Neighbors react to fatal shooting in Athens
- Neighbors on edge after man posts video with gun in Limestone Co.
- Man arrested five months after fatal shooting in Limestone Co.
- Neighbor describes Christmas Eve shooting
- East Limestone County water outage restored, neighbors want answers
- With more rain, neighbors concerned about flooding in Limestone Co.
- Neighbors react to drug bust in Limestone Co.