Four roads in DeKalb County may soon be unrecognizable.
The county received a grant to rebuild four county roads in Valley Head, and we've learned that process will start in just a couple of weeks.
WAAY 31 talked with neighbors who say repairs should have happened a long time ago.
“They’re a good foot, foot-and-a-half deep. I mean, they’re enormous," said Nestley Owens.
Owens lives on County Road 1000 and says her commute to work every day is a constant headache because of all of the potholes she has to dodge.
"It’s almost to where I just don’t even want to leave.”
The road is so bad, in fact, Owens says her last car was damaged and she was forced to buy a new one.
“So, my husband said, ‘Well, let’s just get you something bigger, an SUV, off of the ground, so it won’t be as hard on your vehicle," she said.
And Owens isn’t the only person who’s noticed the poor condition of the road.
“Bumping, bumping, bumping," Margarita Moreno said.
Moreno has lived on County Road 1000 for sixteen years and says she tells her family to avoid traveling on it just to visit her.
“I told my son don’t go to Valley Head and drive here because the cars pay the price," Moreno said. "And we don’t have money to fix the cars every time.”
Luckily, according to the county commissioner for the area, the county got a grant to fix the roads in Moreno's neighborhood and he says they’re planning to start within a few weeks.
He admitted to WAAY 31 they were behind schedule on repaving the roads, saying weather has had a big impact on the process.
But neighbors say they’re just ready to see it happen.
“I hope they do it soon! Especially with school coming up and school buses," said Owens. "I know there’s three buses that just come back in here. And if they have to swerve, or if they hit a pothole and they lose control, who knows how many kids?”
- Neighbors explain why their roads need to be repaved in DeKalb Co.
- Neighbors explain why their roads need to be repaved in Marshall Co.
- Florence plans to repave Mall Road and install traffic light
- Mall Road repaving project is underway in Florence
- City of Huntsville responds to neighbors outraged over Governors Drive repaving
- Athens neighbors react to flooded road
- DeKalb Co. superintendent explains district's safety measures in light of Colorado school shooting
- $7.9M repaving project for Highway 20 set for 2018
- City of Florence to repave 10 problem streets
- Repaving underway on Governors Drive in Huntsville after 48-hour delay