The National Weather Service in Huntsville confirms the damage southwest of Athens was caused by a small tornado on Sunday.
Officials say it was an EF-0 tornado that touched down about 0.3 miles west of the intersection of Zelner and Ripley roads in southern Limestone County. This is classified as a weak tornado with winds of 65 to 85 mph.
The National Weather Service also reports:
“Upon touchdown the tornado produced tree damage.
“Tracking to the northeast, the tornado produced damage to a metal barn, a roof along Bell Road, snapped a tree at the base, and uplifted an attached roof of a porch on a small home.
“Farther to the northeast, the tornado produced mainly roof and window damage in a mobile home park along the west side of Blackburn Road.
“On Ham Road, more extensive damage was found to a mobile home, which was pushed back about six feet, detaching it from an awning and cement parking pad. This mobile home was anchored to concrete pads that were sitting on gravel, but the mobile home was left largely intact.
“The tornado continued to snap trees across Evans and Reid roads. As the tornado approached U.S. Highway 72, it produced significant damage to a metal-sided outbuilding, while producing mainly roof and siding damage to a couple of metal building systems on the south side of Hwy. 72.
“The tornado produced damage to a couple of metal signs at a gas station located along the north side off Hwy. 72 at the intersection of W. Washington Street.
“Along W. Washington Street, tree damage continued, with some trees uprooted, including a tree that fell on a vehicle. At the intersection of W. Glenn Valley Drive and W. Washington Road, a large tree branch fell, partly on a house.
“The tornado appeared to lift near this point, with some minor tree damage farther to the northeast in western portions of Athens.”
- National Weather Service confirms 'weak' tornado in Limestone County
- National Weather Service confirms Marshall County tornado
- National Weather Service confirms EF-1 tornado hit Cullman County
- National Weather Service confirms EF-1 tornadoes hit Marshall, DeKalb counties
- National Weather Service confirms December tornado in Lincoln County, Tennessee
- National Weather Service confirms EF-0 tornado in Lincoln County, TN
- National Weather Service confirms EF-1 tornado Wednesday in Colbert County
- National Weather Service confirms 80 mph Alabama tornado
- National Weather Service confirms three tornadoes in North Alabama
- National Weather Service confirms two more tornadoes in North Alabama