The National Hockey League is suspending its 2019-20 season beginning with Thursday night’s games due to concerns about the coronavirus.
National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman released this statement about the decision:
“In light of ongoing developments resulting from the coronavirus, and after consulting with medical experts and convening a conference call of the Board of Governors, the National Hockey League is announcing today that it will pause the 2019‑20 season beginning with tonight’s games.
“The NHL has been attempting to follow the mandates of health experts and local authorities, while preparing for any possible developments without taking premature or unnecessary measures. However, following last night’s news that an NBA player has tested positive for coronavirus – and given that our leagues share so many facilities and locker rooms and it now seems likely that some member of the NHL community would test positive at some point – it is no longer appropriate to try to continue to play games at this time.
“We will continue to monitor all the appropriate medical advice, and we will encourage our players and other members of the NHL community to take all reasonable precautions – including by self-quarantine, where appropriate. Our goal is to resume play as soon as it is appropriate and prudent, so that we will be able to complete the season and award the Stanley Cup. Until then, we thank NHL fans for your patience and hope you stay healthy.”
- National Hockey League suspends season due to coronavirus concerns
- Huntsville Havoc season suspended over coronavirus concerns
- SEC suspends all sports until March 30 due to coronavirus concerns
- Randolph School in Huntsville suspends in-person classes due to coronavirus concerns
- NBA suspending season after Wednesday night until further notice because of coronavirus concerns
- SEC suspends athletics through April 15 due to coronavirus outbreak
- Jackson County Schools closing Tuesday due to coronavirus concerns
- Publix to have ‘senior shopping hours’ due to coronavirus concerns
- U.S. Space & Rocket Center extends closure due to coronavirus concerns
- NFL suspends player for betting on league games